Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pir-ette Party!


 I thought it was about time that I posted about S's 3rd birthday party. We did a Pir-ette theme this year. S has been enjoying the 'Jake and the Neverland Pirates' show, as well as pirate books and such. So I thought it would be a fun theme to do!
I really wanted to stay away from the skull and crossbones as much as possible. When I found these cute FREE Pirate party printables offered at Cottage Industrialist, I thought they would work perfectly as my inspiration. The pennant banners above are from there as well as the invitations below.


 I redecorated the foam wreath for the front door, welcoming the party goers with a 'Ahoy!'. There was also a plank of wood at the front steps with a sign 'Walk the Plank'.

 I was lucky enough to find a little pirate girl doll (in the first picture) so she was part of the decor along with a couple pics of S, some old books and a bottle of pirate brew. Other decorations included balloons and streamers, as well as some 'ship' fabric that I got at Ikea for a backdrop at the table.


 I whipped up a simple Pirate costume for S to wear (out of a couple old shirts).


I almost cried while making the cake due to frustration, but it turned out great!


 We ate 'Captain Kerr's catch of the day' as well as the sugar cookies I had made (from this post). We also had S's favorite, popcorn twists. And... I ordered pizza for lunch!



P.S. If you've ever been to Craftiness is not Optional you know that she makes awesome cookies (like here and here). I emailed Jess to see if she would give me the recipe, and she did! Thanks Jess! If you would like to try em' out it's actually posted here! They are soo yummy and pretty! Can't wait to make them again for another shindig.

For our big activity the kids did a treasure hunt!

I drew up a treasure map with three stops (I had cardstock red X's in each spot):

1st stop: S's room -  felt eye patches
2nd stop: TV cabinet - swords
3rd stop:  Outside flower pot - buried treasure






I found the tin treasure chest at a garage sale for .50! 
I filled it with chocolate coins and necklaces from the dollar store.


For the treasure hunt I had made little telescopes for the kids to use. 
(Made out of a toilet paper roll and a yogurt drink container.) But I actually forgot about them and ended up bringing them out afterwards, the kids still enjoyed them though.



Isn't this a cute looking party crew!

For the take home loot bags, I decorated brown paperbags and filled them with 'gold'.
The gold being spray painted rocks and gold foiled chocolate (almond kisses, mini reese cups, and another gold coin). The kids also got to take home an eyepatch, sword, and telescope as well as any treasure they acquired from the chest.



It was a great day and the little girlie was pretty tuckered by the end of it all!


* UPDATE* Check out my post Pirate Party: How To's for a closer look.






linked up at:
Sugar and Dots